Hey friend! I know you‘re wondering if you can activate a Rockstar key on Steam. The short answer is: unfortunately, no you can’t.
Rockstar keys can only be redeemed through the Rockstar Games Launcher. But don‘t worry – I‘ve got you covered with this comprehensive guide on how to redeem Rockstar keys and still play Rockstar games on Steam!
What is a Rockstar Key?
For anyone unfamiliar, a Rockstar key is an activation code provided by Rockstar Games for their titles. It allows you to redeem and access Rockstar games through their Rockstar Games Launcher on PC.
Some of Rockstar‘s most popular games like Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V) and Red Dead Redemption 2 require a Rockstar key instead of a standard Steam key.
In fact, according to Statista, as of 2022 Grand Theft Auto V has sold over 170 million copies globally across all platforms. And Red Dead Redemption 2 has sold over 45 million copies worldwide.
Can I Redeem a Rockstar Key on Steam?
Unfortunately, Rockstar keys can only be redeemed through the Rockstar Games Launcher.
Unlike Steam keys, Rockstar keys cannot be activated directly on Steam. When redeemed, they will be added to your Rockstar Games library – not Steam.
This is because Rockstar uses their own Rockstar Games Launcher on PC, unlike other publishers like Ubisoft who put their games directly on Steam.
According to their system requirements, having the Rockstar Games Launcher installed is required to play GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2, and other Rockstar games on PC.
So if you try entering a Rockstar key on Steam, it simply won‘t work.
How to Play Rockstar Games on Steam
Now I know what you‘re thinking – "That‘s annoying! I want to play Rockstar games through Steam!"
Don‘t worry, you have a couple options to play your Rockstar games on Steam:
Add Rockstar Launcher as a Non-Steam Game
This method will add the Rockstar Games Launcher to your Steam library. Here‘s how:
- In your Steam library, click "Add a Game" > "Add a Non-Steam Game"
- Browse to the Rockstar Launcher executable file (usually here: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Launcher\Launcher.exe)
- Add it and Rockstar Launcher will show up in your Steam library
- Launching it from Steam opens the Rockstar Launcher to play owned Rockstar games
This allows you to easily access your Rockstar library from within Steam!
Use Steam Family Sharing
You can also share your Rockstar library with a linked Steam account using Steam‘s Family Sharing feature.
According to Steam, over 90 million users actively use Steam. So chances are, you or a friend already have a Steam account ready to link!
Here‘s how to share your Rockstar library using Family Sharing:
- In the Rockstar Games Launcher, go to Settings > Family
- Link your Steam account
- On the Steam account, enable Family Sharing and authorize it
- Your Rockstar games will appear in the Steam library to download and play
By sharing your Rockstar library through Family Sharing, you can securely access and play your Rockstar collection on Steam!
How to Get Rockstar Games on Steam
If you want to purchase and play Rockstar games directly through Steam (instead of redeeming Rockstar keys), you have a few options:
- Buy a Steam digital code from an authorized reseller – These will provide Steam activation keys for Rockstar titles. Popular sites include GreenManGaming, Fanatical, Humble Bundle.
- Purchase Steam gifts – Tradable copies of the game that can be added to your Steam library permanently. You can find sellers on sites like Steamtrades.
- Wait for a Rockstar publisher sale on Steam – Occasionally Rockstar offers direct deals on games like GTA, LA Noire on Steam.
According to data from SteamDB, Grand Theft Auto V has gone on sale on Steam 33 times historically, averaging 58% off during sales! So keep an eye out for deals if you want the Steam version.
Is it Safe to Buy Rockstar Keys?
Lots of key reseller sites offer discounted Rockstar keys. But be very careful when buying from third parties as fraudulent or already activated keys are common.
I recommend sticking to authorized resellers like the sites mentioned above for guaranteed valid keys. Otherwise, you risk wasting money on shady sites.
You can check reliable key sellers on sites like r/GameDeals on Reddit to find the best deals from trusted sites.
I hope this guide clears up how to redeem and play Rockstar keys, and activate their games on Steam! Let me know if you have any other questions my friend.