Can I get 3DMark for free?
No, 3DMark is not available for free. It is a paid benchmarking software developed and published by UL Benchmarks (formerly Futuremark). There are trial versions available that allow limited use, but full access requires purchasing a license.
Overview of 3DMark Benchmark Software
3DMark is one of the most well-known and widely used benchmarking tools for testing the graphics performance of PCs, laptops, and mobile devices. It has been around for over 20 years and is trusted by gamers, overclockers, and hardware reviewers worldwide. Here‘s an in-depth look at what 3DMark is, what it tests, and why it‘s useful:
What is 3DMark?
3DMark is a benchmark suite that runs graphics-intensive tests designed to stress the GPU and measure graphics performance. It uses game-like 3D scenes rendered in real-time to gauge how well the graphics card and CPU can handle intensive gaming workloads.
The 3DMark benchmark scales from testing low-end integrated graphics to the most powerful discrete GPUs on the market. This allows you to compare systems across a wide performance spectrum.
Who is it for?
3DMark is used by:
- Gamers who want to test their PC‘s gaming performance
- Overclockers trying to optimize and validate stable overclocks
- PC manufacturers verifying system performance
- Reviewers and tech media outlets benchmarking the latest computer hardware
- Companies developing GPUs, CPUs, and drivers
Whether you‘re building a high-end gaming rig or just want to test your new laptop, 3DMark has a benchmark for you.
What does it test?
3DMark exercises the GPU core, memory, CPU, and in some cases storage with graphics tests at various resolutions and quality settings. Key areas tested include:
- 2D and 3D graphics performance
- DirectX 9, 11, 12, and Vulkan API performance
- GPU compute performance with simulations
- CPU performance with physics tests
- Bandwidth with memory-intensive workloads
The tests render game-like scenes in real-time, so you get an idea of how your hardware performs under gaming conditions. Popular game engines like Unreal Engine are utilized.
3DMark Benchmark Editions
There are several benchmark editions tailored to different needs:
- 3DMark Time Spy – Latest DirectX 12 benchmark with advanced graphics and CPU tests. Ideal for high-end gaming PCs.
- 3DMark Port Royal – Dedicated ray tracing benchmark for RTX cards.
- 3DMark Night Raid – Tests DirectX 12 performance on laptops and mobile devices.
- 3DMark Wild Life – Cross-platform mobile benchmark using Vulkan API.
- 3DMark Fire Strike and Sky Diver – DirectX 11 benchmarks for high-end and mainstream gaming PCs.
There are also special editions like 3DMark Stress Tests for stability testing and the 3DMark Port Royal Ray Tracing Feature Test.
Why Use 3DMark?
Here are some of the key benefits of using 3DMark for benchmarking:
3DMark provides consistent, repeatable benchmark runs that allow you to accurately compare hardware performance between test systems. The standardized tests provide fair comparisons that eliminate biases.
Real-World Performance Simulation
While synthetic, the 3DMark tests simulate game-like workloads so you can gauge real-world gaming performance differences between hardware. This gives you practical data to judge upgrades.
Wide Range of Hardware Compatibility
3DMark supports everything from basic integrated graphics to top-of-the-line multi-GPU setups. You can benchmark and compare low-end laptops to high-end gaming desktops using matched tests.
Ease of Use
Running 3DMark benchmarks is easy – install the software, click the benchmark you want, and let it run. You get clear and detailed results with performance break downs and graphics frame data. It‘s perfect for beginners.
Detailed Hardware Monitoring
During the tests, 3DMark shows real-time metrics like clock speeds, temperatures, CPU/GPU load and fan speeds. This helps identify performance bottlenecks.
Customizable and Automated Testing
You can customize tests and settings to benchmark exactly what you want. Automated batch testing allows for unattended benchmark sessions – perfect for stress testing stability.
Comprehensive Result Data and Reports
3DMark generates comprehensive benchmark reports with tables and graphs detailing the test results. You can compare benchmark runs side-by-side to gauge performance differences.
Active Development and Support
3DMark is under active development with new benchmarks and features added regularly. It supports the latest hardware and technologies like DirectX 12 and Vulkan.
3DMark Benchmark Scores
Let‘s take a look at some sample 3DMark scores to give you an idea of the performance range:
Entry-Level 1080p Gaming PC
- Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
- Intel Core i5-8400
- 8GB DDR4 RAM
3DMark Time Spy (DirectX 12): 3979 score
Mainstream 1080p Gaming PC
- AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
- Ryzen 5 1600
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
3DMark Fire Strike (DirectX 11): 17123 score
High-End 1440p Gaming PC
- Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB
- Core i7-10700K
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
3DMark Time Spy (DirectX 12): 13276 score
Extreme 4K Gaming PC
- 2x Nvidia RTX 3090 24GB in SLI
- Ryzen 9 5950X
- 64GB DDR4 RAM
3DMark Port Royal (Ray Tracing): 17826 score
As you can see, 3DMark provides a vast performance spectrum allowing you to benchmark everything from basic home PCs to extreme custom rigs. The tests scale well across the range.
How to Run 3DMark Benchmarks
Running 3DMark benchmarks is straightforward:
- Download – Download and install the 3DMark benchmark tool from https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark.
- Choose Benchmark – Select the desired benchmark edition and test.
- Run Benchmark – Click the ‘Run‘ button and let the benchmark complete.
- View Results – When finished, your results will be displayed along with comparison data.
- Compare Results – You can compare results between runs easily within 3DMark.
3DMark has built-in guidance that explains what each test means and how to interpret the results.
The free 3DMark Demo lets you run each test once so you can try it out before buying. Purchasing a 3DMark license unlocks unlimited benchmarking.
In closing, 3DMark remains one of the most popular and comprehensive benchmark suites for testing graphics and gaming performance. With a long history and trust earned from hardware manufacturers and reviewers alike, it has become an industry standard tool. 3DMark scales to accommodate everything from basic laptops to extreme custom gaming rigs. So if you‘re looking for detailed and reliable PC benchmarking, 3DMark has you covered.