Discord is one of the fast-growing social media networks with users from all parts of the world. You can now use it in all your social communication needs, not just in gaming as it was before.
Discord is no doubt one of the fastest growing free text chat, video, and voice VoIP instant messaging social media platforms. The platform was launched in 2015 as a gaming communication app that allowed gamers to communicate and interact freely.
However, Discord has grown gradually over the years. In addition, the Covid-19 global lockdown era was a blessing in disguise for Discord, as it became a reliable platform to “chat for communities and friends.” Since then, the software/app has become a loved platform for communication by various communities and not just gamers.
For that reason, you no longer need to be a gamer to enjoy using the Discord platform. On the contrary, anyone can use the platform for daily talk about various things such as family trips, homework, art projects, and even catching up with your friends.
Are you amazed at how Discord has grown over the years? Well, continue reading this article to learn more about this amazing app, and probably you will join it to enhance your online communication.
A Sneak Peek into 10 Key Discord Statistics
- Discord has over 150 million active monthly users and over 300 million accounts.
- You need to be at least 13 years old to use the Discord platform or the agreed age of digital consent in your country as long as it's above 13 years.
- Currently, most of the users of Discord (70%) use it for gaming activities.
- Users of Discord Nitro can join up to 200 servers while those without a subscription can join up to 100 servers.
- Discord made a revenue of approximately $300 million in 2021
- Discord Nitro subscription is the platform’s main source of income
- The platform enjoys over 20 million daily active users and the number is growing
- The majority of the users ( over 30%) are from the USA but the platform is banned from public use in China
- Discord has a value of approximately $15 billion in 2022 and it made an estimated revenue of over $200 million in 2021
- Discord has over 13.5 million active servers in 2022and about 900 million messages are sent via its network daily
Discord User Statistics
1. Discord’s cumulative number of registered users
Discord has a cumulative number of approximately 300 million registered users as of 2022 and the number is growing. This is mainly because the number of Discord accounts has increased tremendously since 2019.
2. The Covid-19 lockdowns contributed greatly to the growth of Discord users
When governments from different parts of the work introduced lockdowns to prevent the spread of Covid-19, people shifted to using social media platforms. Similarly, more people started using Discord to communicate with their loved ones and the number of registered users increased by millions.
3. How many users are there at most in a month and what are the trends?
Discord has approximately 150 million monthly users as of 2022. The number has grown rapidly since 2019 when the platform had 56 million users. Trends show the number of Discords monthly users is on the rise and it may surpass 200 million soon.
4. How many people use Discord at the same time and how far has it ever reached?
Discord’s highest registered concurrent user count is 10.6 million. Statistics show that the platform enjoyed the highest monthly growth of about 16% during the era of the Covid-19 lockdown when the app experienced the highest traffic.
5. Number of downloads by mobile users
Discord app is one of the most downloaded apps by both Android and iOS mobile users. For instance, there are over 100 million downloads of the discord app on Google Play. The app ranks third in the top free apps in the communication category. In general, Discord is among the most popular apps in the communication category among mobile users.
6. Percentage of global users
Discord has approximately 300 million users globally. That means that about 3.75% of the world's population uses the platform. The global population is approximately 8 billion by the year 2022.
7. When do the majority of Discord users come from?
About 28% (majority) of global discord users come from the USA. 6% come from Canada, 4% come from the UK and about 3.5% and 3% come from Germany and France respectively. However, the app has users from other parts of the world except for China where it is banned.
8. Who are Discord’s majority users in terms of age?
First, it's important to note the minimum age requirement for anyone who wants to create an account on the Discord platform is 13 years old. In addition, the app started as a platform for gamers to communicate and interact with each other. Having said that, the majority of discord users are people aged 13 and above years old. The app targets youths, young adults, and middle-aged adults. In general, the majority of Discord users are aged between 18 to 30 years old.
9. Discord has servers whose joining has an age limit.
Unlike other social media platforms, where once you join you can access whatever you want, Discord allows users to create servers that restrict users below 18 years from joining. That way, only mature users can join that server and discord content that aligns with their age.
Server usages statistics
10. How many servers does Discord have?
The social media platform has over 19 million active servers as of 2022. This is a tremendous growth from 5 million active servers in 2019, 7 million active servers in 2020, and about 14 million active servers in 2021.
11. What are the Top 5 Discord Servers?
The top five biggest Discord servers are Mr. Beast Gaming, Genshin Impact Official, Official Fortnite, Valorant, and Roblox. These five servers have over 800000 members as of 2022.
12. How many servers can a Discord user join?
Users with a Nitro subscription can join up to 200 servers and you can as well create servers and invite other discord members to join and start interacting. However, discord users using the free version can only join up to 100 servers at a time.
13. Do all Discord servers have many users?
No. For most of the Discord servers, about 90% have less than 15 members. Only a small percentage of Discord servers have over 1000 members.
Statistics on the number of discord messages
14. Number of messages sent per day
Discord is a relatively active online communication platform. Consequently, over 530 million messages are sent through the discord platform daily.
15. Number of messages sent through Discord in a month
The social media app and website platform are gradually becoming a choice for sending written messages. Over 15 billion messages are sent through the platform every month and the number is expected to grow higher shortly.
16. How much time does a discord spend sending and receiving messages on discord?
On average, a discord user spends about 10 minutes daily interacting with other people (sending and receiving minutes). This is equivalent to 300 minutes or 5 hours in a month and the number is growing.
Discord Business Value and Revenue Statistics
17. Who is the founder of Discord?
The founders of Discord are Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy. The two loved playing video games since when they were small children. Thus, they went ahead to create an online platform where gamers would connect, interact and cherish their friendships when playing video games.
18. What is the net worth of Discord founders, Cintron and Vishnevskiy?
Jason Citron has a net worth of approximately $800 million while his partner Stan Vishnevskiy has a net worth of approximately $600 million. Most of their wealth comes from their stake in discord.
19. What is the value of Discord?
The company is valued at approximately 15 billion as of 2022. Discord value has doubled with a shirt time is it is expected to continue growing due to the rapid increase of the number of people using it for their social communication needs.
20. What is Discord’s quarterly revenue for 2022?
There is no publicly available information about Discord's quarterly revenue for 2022. However, the company made approximately $300 million in 2021. Since discord has been experiencing steady growth, its quarterly revenue is over $ 75 million in 2022.
21. What is discord’s main source of income?
The platform raises its revenue from various sources but its Nitro subscription package is the main source of income. The Nitro Classic package goes for $ 4.99 a month or $49.99 per year. On the other hand, Discord’s Nitro package goes for $ 9.99 a month or an annual subscription of $99.99.
22. Whether other organizations that acquired or have been acquired by Discord
No company owns Discord as of 2022. Although there are numerous buyout talks about some companies offering to buy Discord, it’s yet to happen. The most talked about is the offer by Microsoft to buy Discord for 10 billion. Discord acquired Sentropy, a company that makes AI-powered software in 2021. It also owns Blitz App (2018) and Ubiquity6 (2021).
23. Average employee salary
The salary that Discord pays its employees varies depending on the job description, education level, individual skills location, and department where employees work. The company pays an average annual salary of $101,864. It also pays an average of $32.47 per hour for Order Pickers and $25.30 per hour for Social Media specialists.
24. Discord funding
The social network app has received funding from various investors totaling $995.4m by 2022. The most recent funding is $100 million in December 2020 and the Dragoneer Investment Group led $500 million in funding.
It is evident from the above statistics that Discord has managed to grow tremendously over a very short duration. When Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy founded Discord, they intended to create a reliable platform for communication and interaction among gamers.
However, trends have changed over the years and today Discord has become a multipurpose online communication platform. Most of the companies were hit by the Covid-19 pandemic but Discord experienced tremendous growth since 2020. Today the app is among online social media platforms that are growing massively.