Particular YouTube users are out there to provoke or dishearten you. These are people who may send you annoying private text messages and some leave negative comments that may negatively affect your channel. With major improvements on YouTube, you no longer have to condone people who don't add value to your YouTube channel. One quick way of dealing with such people is to hide them from your YouTube channel.
When you upload your content on YouTube, you intend to get more viewers and subscribers to your channel. Besides, every YouTuber desires to attract more engagement on each video they post on this platform. Sadly, this isn’t always the case.
Here are easy ways to hide a user from your YouTube channel. But first;
Why Hide a User from YouTube Channel
- You don't want to engage with them again. Sometimes you may find that you've had enough engagement with a particular user on your channel. However, the same user may keep on commenting to engage you. If you don't want more of such engagements, hiding the user from your channel comes in handy.
- They're posting hateful comments or harassing content on your videos. It's not everyone that will celebrate your content with positive feedback. Some people will post negative or hateful content as feedback on your posts. If this is the case, hiding such persons from your channel will keep the negative or harassing comments from your channel.
- You don’t like the fact that they keep liking all of your videos and leaving comments on every single one of them.
- The user is harassing or attacking another user or your channel. Some users can become hostile towards other users and may send them offensive messages or make threats against them. It's not uncommon for these people to also attack channels, so if someone is attacking you or another user on YouTube, it's best to hide them so that they can't cause any more damage to your channel.
- To stop them from sending you private messages. This cannot be very pleasant, especially if someone is sending you too many messages and trying to get in touch with you through private messaging instead of using the public comments section of your videos or channel page.
If you are experiencing the above discomforts from the users of your YouTube channel, hiding such users is essential.
There are two different ways of hiding a user from your channel, and these are:
1. Hide Users from Your Channel on a Desktop via YouTube.com
If you operate your YouTube channel via a desktop, here is an easier way to hide users;
Step 1: Open your favorite browser and sign in to your YouTube account.
Step 2: Navigate to your videos where there are users you want to hide from your channel.
Step 3: Hover your cursor over the particular comment whose user you want to hide.
Step 4: Three dots will appear on the right-hand side of the comment; click on them.
Step 5: On the menu that will appear, click Hide user from the channel.
The selected user will no longer be able to comment or like your videos, nor will they be able to send you private messages.
2. Hide Users from a Channel Using YouTube Studio
The YouTube Studio app is the perfect place for managing your YouTube channel, growing the channel, and interacting with your audience. You can use this app on a PC or your smartphone. To hide a user from a channel via the YouTube studio app;
Step 1: Log in to YouTube and search for the user’s channel URL on the overview page.
Step 2: Copy the link (user’s channel URL).
Step 3: Head to your YouTube studio app.
Step 4: Navigate to the left menu and select Settings, then Community.
Step 5: Paste the copied channel URL in the “Hidden users” box.
Step 6: Click on Save to add the user’s URL to your hidden list.
While on the YouTube studio app, you can review the different users hidden from your YouTube channel. Here’s how to find the list;
Step 1: Sign in to your YouTube studio app.
Step 2: From the left menu pane, choose Settings > Community.
Step 3: You can review users you have hidden by clicking “Hidden users”.
Unhide Users from Your YouTube Channel
If you have a change of heart and you want to remove any user from the hidden list, here is what you need to do;
Step 1: Head to your YouTube studio app.
Step 2: From the left-hand side menu, tap on Settings.
Step 3: Once the settings menu appears, click Community.
Step 4: Navigate to the Hidden users section and find the user(s) you want to unblock/unhide.
Step 5: To remove the users from the list, tap on the X symbol.
Alternatively, you can unhide a user by;
Step 1: Go to their profile page through the web browser or the YouTube mobile app.
Step 2: Click the three-dot menu or the flag and select Unblock user.
Block People from Your YouTube Channel
If you no longer want to enjoy the subscription or viewership of a particular person on YouTube, blocking them may be the best option for you. Here’s how to block someone from your channel;
Step 1: Open your YouTube app if operating YouTube from a phone; otherwise, use the desktop web version.
Step 2: Go to the comments section.
Step 3: Go through the comments and choose the user you intend to block from your channel, and click on their user name.
Step 4: YouTube will redirect you to your YouTube channel.
Step 5: Click on the About section and the Flag icon.
Step 6: Click Block user. Otherwise, click Report user if you feel they have violated your rights on YouTube.
What Happens When You Block a User on YouTube?
When you block users on YouTube;
- They will not be able to publish any comments on your videos.
- Their previous comments on your posts will be hidden.
- They will be barred from sending you personal messages.
- They can watch your videos and add them to their playlists.
You cannot prevent people from watching your videos on your YouTube channel unless you delete the videos. Similarly, you may not have the power to control what they will post in your videos' comments section.
However, you can control the users’ interactions on your post and also filter their comments. If your YouTube channel users are posting hateful comments or their interactions with other users isn't decent, the best solution is to hide them from your channel!