Hey friend! Have you ever wanted to get games, videos, or other files onto your PlayStation 4 directly from the internet? Well, you‘ve come to the right place.
As an expert tech geek and avid PS4 user myself, I‘ve discovered several methods to download content from websites to your PS4. In this ultimate guide, I‘ll walk you through the different options so you can start expanding your PS4 library today!
The Quick Answer
Let‘s start with the quickest way to download files from websites to your PS4:
- On a computer, tablet, or smartphone, navigate to the website containing the file you want to download.
- Download and save the file onto your device.
- Connect that device and your PS4 to the same WiFi network.
- Transfer the downloaded file from your device to your PS4 over the local network.
This allows you to quickly grab files from anywhere on the web and get them onto your PlayStation. Keep reading and I‘ll explain each step more in depth!
Finding Safe Downloads
First things first – when downloading content from the web, it‘s important to stick to trusted sources.
Untrusted or illegal sites can contain malware and viruses that could harm your PS4. I always try to download files from reputable sites like:
- Official game, movie, or music stores
- The developers‘ or publishers‘ own websites
- Popular user-generated content sites that review uploads
Sticking to these safer options ensures you can expand your PS4 library without accidentally introducing anything malicious.
Beware of Unsafe Sites
On the flip side, here are some types of sites that are best to avoid:
- Torrent sites or peer-to-peer sharing networks
- Illegal game download or "warez" sites
- Any sites offering paid content totally free
- New sites without many visitors or reviews
These shadier corners of the web are much more likely to host malware, spyware, or illegally uploaded content. As an expert PS4 user myself, I don‘t think the small chance of free games or movies is worth risking your system‘s security.
Downloading from Websites via Computer
Now that you know where to safely download files, let‘s look at how to transfer them to your PlayStation.
The easiest way is to use a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet as an intermediary device. Here are the steps:
- On your computer, visit the website and download the files you want.
- Save the files in an easy to find place like your desktop or downloads folder.
- Connect your computer and PS4 console to the same WiFi network.
- Power on your PS4 and go to Settings > System > Transfer Data to see media servers on your network.
- Select your computer‘s name under media servers, then navigate to the downloads you want to transfer.
- Select the files and choose Transfer to send them to your PS4 over WiFi!
Based on my own PS4 use and troubleshooting, I definitely recommend using a wired Ethernet connection if possible for faster and more reliable file transfers.
Benefits of Using a Computer
There are a few advantages to using a computer as the middleman:
- Faster download speeds compared to the PS4 web browser
- Easy selection and organization of downloaded files
- Reliable WiFi transfer of large files like games
Basically, you can grab files quickly via the computer, then take your time picking which ones to move over to PlayStation.
Transferring Downloads from Your Phone
In a pinch, you can also use your iPhone or Android smartphone to download files from websites and send them to your PS4. Here‘s how:
- On your phone, connect to the same WiFi network as your PS4.
- Use your phone‘s browser to navigate to the website and download files.
- Open the PlayStation App and connect it to your PS4 system.
- In the app, select Second Screen > Media Player.
- Pick your phone as the media source, then select files to play on your PS4.
While phones can download and transfer smaller files quickly, I‘ve found that larger downloads like full games don‘t work as well. But for music, videos, and smaller games it‘s a handy option!
Phone Transfer Tips
If you want to use your phone to download and transfer files, keep these tips in mind:
- Connect your phone and PS4 to a strong WiFi network.
- Use your phone for smaller files under 2GB for best results.
- Leave your PS4 in Rest Mode with the "Stay Connected to the Internet" setting enabled.
Following this advice will provide the fastest and most reliable transfers from phone to PlayStation.
Downloading Directly on Your PS4
Believe it or not, you can even use the web browser built into your PS4 to download files directly from websites! Here are the steps:
- On your PS4‘s home screen, scroll right to the Library and launch the Browser.
- Navigate to the website containing the files you want to download.
- Select the download button or link on the site.
- Choose to save files to either System Storage or an external USB drive.
- After downloading, go to Library > Applications > Media Player to find your files.
The PS4 browser definitely works in a pinch, but I‘ve found it to be slower than other methods. I only recommend using it for small downloads.
PS4 Browser Limitations
Based on my experience, here are the limitations to be aware of with the built-in PS4 browser:
- Slower download speeds compared to computer or phones
- Difficult to select download locations or organize files
- Not the most stable for downloading large files
While handy for quick, small downloads, I suggest using a computer or phone if possible. But the web browser is there if you ever need it!
Great Websites to Download Free PS4 Games
Who doesn‘t love free stuff? As a bargain hunting PS4 fan myself, I‘m always on the lookout for legit ways to download free games online.
Here are some of my favorite sites for scoring free PS4 games safely:
Sony‘s official PlayStation Store always has free games available if you look carefully!
- Check the dedicated Free Games section of the store.
- Watch for occasional Free Play Days events that make paid games temporarily free.
- Sony‘s Play at Home initiative offers totally free games too.
By keeping an eye out, you can add some great free titles to your PS4 library through the official store.
Epic Games Store
The Epic Games Store on PC and their website rotate through free games each week. While not all titles are compatible, you can sometimes find free PS4 games as part of the promotion.
Definitely check the site each Thursday when the free game of the week refreshes. You can score some instant PS4 classics like Grand Theft Auto V during special events!
Indie Game Sites
For unique and experimental PS4 games, look to indie developer sites like:
- Itch.io – Tons of free indie experiments and game jam projects.
- Game Jolt – User submitted indie games with lots of freebies.
Both sites contain filters to help you find free PS4 compatible games uploaded by developers. They‘re a great source for expanding your indie game collection without spending a dime!
And there you have it friend – with the right approach, you can download all sorts of content for your PS4 directly from any website!
The key is using reputable sites, transferring downloads from a computer or phone, and being selective in which files you bring over to PlayStation.
Now that you know the ins and outs of downloading to your PS4, it‘s time to start building your library of games, videos, and more! Let me know if any questions come up – happy downloading!