Hey there! If you‘re looking to add game time to your Final Fantasy XIV account on Steam, you‘ve come to the right place. I‘m going to walk you through everything you need to know about redeeming FFXIV game time cards on the Steam platform. As a long-time FFXIV player myself, I‘ve bought my fair share of game cards for the Steam version. So I‘m going to share with you the tips and tricks I‘ve learned to avoid headaches and make sure your code activates smoothly. Let‘s get into it!
A Quick Word About FFXIV on Steam
Before we dive in, I want to quickly touch on Steam integration. Square Enix made the full PC version of FFXIV available on Steam several years back. This created a separate and distinct "Steam version" that has its own unique licenses and rules.
For example, you can‘t register a Steam expansion code on a regular Windows FFXIV license. And non-Steam game codes won‘t work for accounts started on Steam. So it‘s important when buying game cards or expansions to match the platform!
Fun Fact: Over 1 million FFXIV players access the game via Steam!
Okay, now that we‘ve got that note about Steam out of the way, let‘s look at how to add game time.
What Are FFXIV Game Time Cards?
FFXIV game time cards are prepaid cards sold at retail stores that contain registration codes. When you redeem a code, it adds 60 days of game time to your FFXIV account.
The cards work sort of like a subscription, but without the recurring billing. You just buy more time whenever you need it!
There are a few different editions available on Steam:
- FFXIV Online Starter Edition – Base game up to level 50
- FFXIV Online Complete Edition – Base game + all expansions
- FFXIV Online Complete Collector‘s Edition – Extra in-game items
The time cards work with any of these versions!
How Do Game Time Cards Work?
When you redeem a game time card code on the Mog Station website, it adds 60 days of pre-paid game time to your FFXIV service account. You can stack multiple cards to have up to 180 days banked.
The time gets used up gradually as you play, until it eventually expires. Pretty straightforward!
Now let‘s look at…
How to Redeem FFXIV Game Time Cards on Steam
Redeeming a game card for the Steam version is easy. Just follow these steps:
- First, purchase a card. I recommend buying from legitimate retailers like Amazon or directly from Square Enix. Lots of shady sites sell used codes or scams.
Log into the Mog Station using your Square Enix account credentials. This is separate from Steam!
Under your account status, click "Add Game Time Card".
Enter the 20-digit code from the back of the card and click Next.
Confirm the card details and click Confirm.
That‘s it! The new time will be credited to your account instantly. Easy peasy.
When Are Game Time Cards Useful?
Compared to a recurring subscription, game cards offer some nice benefits:
- No recurring monthly charges – buy more time only when you need it
- Avoid putting payment info on file
- Great for gifting game time to FFXIV player friends
- Discounts are sometimes available on prepaid cards
- Can purchase with cash at retail stores
I like to buy a few cards when they go on sale so I‘ve always got a backup supply ready!
Be Careful Buying Discounted Cards
Watch out for shady sites selling discounted FFXIV game cards. There are a lot of scammers out there peddling used and fraudulent codes.
Stick to authorized retailers or official Square Enix stores when buying cards, even if they‘re a bit pricier. I‘ve learned this lesson the hard way after a few bogus codes!
As a rule of thumb, if a discount seems too good to be true, it probably is. 60-day cards normally sell for around $30.
What If You Have Activation Issues?
Sometimes game cards fail to activate properly. If you run into trouble, here are a few tips:
- Double check the card is for the same region as your Mog Station account. NA, EU, and JP cards are incompatible!
- Try redeeming directly on Mog Station instead of going through Steam.
- Make sure you don‘t have an active subscription, which could block it.
- If it‘s still not working, contact Square Enix support. They‘ll help troubleshoot.
I once spent 2 hours trying to get a card to work, only to realize I had an active sub it couldn‘t override! So be sure to check for obstacles first.
Using Steam Wallet for FFXIV Subscriptions
If you want to use Steam Wallet funds for subscriptions or expansions, you can do that too!
When purchasing on Mog Station, just select "Steam Wallet" as the payment option. It will open a window to process the transaction via Steam.
I‘ll often add money to my Steam Wallet when they do a sale on credit. It‘s a nice way to save some extra cash!
Can You Use Non-Steam Game Time Cards?
This is a big one, so listen up! FFXIV game time codes are region-locked, but NOT platform locked.
So NA region cards work worldwide for all PC licenses. BUT you can only redeem game time cards on matching platform licenses.
What does that mean?
If you started playing the Steam version, you MUST redeem Steam game cards. And vice versa.
I found this out the hard way after buying the wrong platform card as a gift. Make sure to match it up correctly!
Limitations of the Steam Version
While the Steam version is perfectly fine for most, there are a couple restrictions to know:
- Can only purchase expansions on Steam after buying base game there
- Steam Wallet required for subscription payments
- Can‘t switch to non-Steam PC licenses after starting on Steam
For most players this isn‘t an issue. But it‘s something to keep in mind!
Let‘s Recap the Key Takeaways…
- FFXIV game time cards add 60 days of access (stack up to 180 days max)
- MUST redeem cards for same platform license (Steam vs. Windows PC)
- Buy from legitimate retailers – lots of scams out there!
- Use Steam Wallet for subscriptions if you wish
- Contact support if running into activation problems
And I think that about covers everything you could ever need to know about redeeming game cards for FFXIV on Steam! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for reading my ultra in-depth guide. Go enjoy Eorzea!