No, Peacock TV abolished their free ad-supported tier in January 2023. You now need a paid subscription to watch Peacock. But it still offers a free trial for new users. Here‘s a comprehensive look at what Peacock offers, how much it costs, and whether it‘s worth it.
Peacock‘s Two Paid Plans
Peacock has two subscription tiers:
- Peacock Premium – $4.99/month with ads
- Peacock Premium Plus – $9.99/month with limited ads
Peacock Premium Plus has the same content library but with 50% less advertising than the Premium tier. You can switch between the two plans at any time.
According to Peacock, roughly 60% of their subscribers are on the Premium Plus ad-free plan. The remainder opt for Premium with ads to save money.
What‘s Included – More Than You‘d Expect for $5/Month
A Peacock Premium subscription unlocks:
- Next-day access to NBC‘s current shows – that‘s over 35 different series
- Every past season of NBC classics like The Office (201 episodes), Parks and Recreation (125 episodes), 30 Rock (138 episodes)
- Standup specials, late night talk shows, and news programming
- Over 600 Universal and DreamWorks movies like Jurassic Park, E.T., Despicable Me franchise
- Live sports including Premier League, Sunday Night Football, Notre Dame Football, NASCAR, and more
- Original shows and movies made just for Peacock like Bel-Air and The Traitors
- Curated channels like SNL Vault, Family Movie Night, and channels for NBC franchises like Chicago, Law & Order
That‘s thousands of hours of programming for just $4.99 per month. Peacock Premium has arguably the best back-catalog of shows and movies for the price compared to competitors.
How Does Peacock‘s Library Compare?
Peacock has over 15,000 hours of content in their on-demand library. While that pales in comparison to Netflix‘s 220,000+ hours, it‘s very respectable given Peacock‘s niche focus on NBCUniversal programming.
By contrast, HBO Max has about 10,000 hours of content. So Peacock holds its own in terms of library size.
Original programming is one area where Peacock lags rivals. Netflix will spend over $17 billion on originals in 2022 versus about $3 billion for Peacock. But as a newer and more affordable service, Peacock isn‘t trying to match that level of investment yet.
Free 7-Day Trial For New Subscribers
Here‘s the best part – new Peacock users can still get a 7-day free trial for either the Premium or Premium Plus plan.
To start your free trial:
- Go to PeacockTV.com
- Click Sign Up and choose your plan
- Enter your email and payment method
- Enjoy 7 days of free access!
This gives you a full week to watch Peacock and decide if you want to continue your subscription. You can cancel anytime during the trial to avoid being charged.
Peacock Is Included With Some TV Bundles
While Xfinity will soon stop giving Peacock to Internet customers for free, you can still get Peacock bundled in with certain TV packages.
For example, Cox Contour customers can add the Peacock Premium subscription for just $4.99/month. Spectrum TV Choice and above plans include Peacock Premium at no extra cost.
So bundling Peacock with a TV provider can be the cheapest way to get access without a standalone subscription.
Worth It for NBC Fans, But Check the Free Trial First
At only $4.99 per month, Peacock Premium offers incredible value for access to NBCUniversal‘s catalog of shows, movies, news, and sports. The free trial lets you evaluate the experience risk-free.
But subscribers to Netflix or Hulu may find Peacock‘s library too narrow given the crossover of content. Check out their 7-day trial first before deciding if the NBC focus is up your alley.
For cord-cutters looking for affordable live sports and next-day NBC shows, Peacock should absolutely be considered.
Let me know if you have any other questions! I‘m happy to share my knowledge as a streaming analyst to help you find the right services.