Hey friend! As a fellow gaming enthusiast, I know you‘ve been wondering whether you‘ll need to shell out more cash to play The Witcher 3 on next-gen consoles. Well, I‘ve dug into the details and have great news – CD Projekt Red is providing the upgrade totally free!
Yes, The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update is Completely Free!
Let‘s get right to the point: you will not need to pay anything to upgrade The Witcher 3 to the next-gen versions coming in late 2022. CD Projekt Red has confirmed this will be a free update for all existing owners on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
This is fantastic because it means we get to experience this masterpiece with new bells and whistles without an added cost. And considering The Witcher 3 is still a graphical showcase seven years later, this upgrade is very exciting!
What‘s New in The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update?
Now that we‘ve established the next-gen upgrade is free, what exactly are we getting? CD Projekt Red has revealed some of the big improvements:
- Faster loading times – Up to a blistering 6-10x faster thanks to the PS5 and Series X/S SSDs! No more long waits.
- Visual upgrades – Higher resolution textures, improved shadows and geometry, ambient occlusion, ray tracing support, and more. This already gorgeous game is going to look jaw-dropping.
- Performance – Smooth 60 FPS on PS5 and Series X (30 FPS on Series S). A massive upgrade from 30 FPS on old-gen.
- DualSense features – The PS5‘s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback will be supported for immersive effects.
- Inspired DLC – New quests and armor based on the Witcher Netflix series.
- Cross-progression – Transfer saved games from PS4 and Xbox One to next-gen.
As a long time fan myself, these enhancements sound terrific and make revisiting The Witcher 3 a no-brainer.
How to Get The Free Next-Gen Upgrade
To make sure you get the upgrade free of charge, here are the steps:
- Search for The Witcher 3 on the PlayStation Store and select the PS5 version. It will be listed as free if you own the PS4 version.
- Insert your Witcher 3 PS4 disc and the upgrade option will appear on the game hub menu.
- The upgrade will appear free on the Microsoft Store if you already own it digitally or on disc.
- It will update automatically via GOG Galaxy or Steam if you own it there.
That‘s it! Just make sure you‘re downloading the actual PS5/Xbox Series version, not just a patch for the old-gen edition.
By The Numbers: Why This Upgrade is Worth It
Let‘s dig into some numbers to showcase why this next-gen upgrade is so exciting:
- Over 50 million copies sold makes The Witcher 3 one of the best selling RPGs ever.
- Still has ~30,000 concurrent players on Steam 7 years after launch, showing its popularity.
- Won over 800 awards, including Game of the Year awards across the industry.
- Maintains a 92 critic score and 9.2 user score on Metacritic, cementing its status as one of the highest rated games of all time.
- The Switch port brought in sales of over 700,000 units in its first week in 2019, demonstrating ongoing demand.
- Currently sits on Steam‘s top 100 most played games list.
With numbers like these, it‘s clear why The Witcher 3 still has so many loyal fans who are hungry for an enhanced experience. And CD Projekt Red is delivering in spades.
Should You Replay The Witcher 3 on Next-Gen?
For gamers who‘ve yet to play this masterpiece, the next-gen update is the perfect excuse to dive in. And even if you‘ve already spent hundreds of hours in the world of The Witcher 3, I think this upgrade warrants a replay to see the game in its ultimate form.
Here are a few reasons why it‘s absolutely worth another playthrough:
- Buttery smooth 60 FPS gameplay makes combat and exploration more fluid and responsive.
- Jaw dropping new visual fidelity that pushes modern hardware and makes the world more immersive.
- Ray tracing makes lighting even more lifelike – just look at the torch beams!
- Faster loading removes immersion breaking waits between gameplay and cutscenes.
- New story content expands the experience.
- It‘s just an incredible game that holds up phenomenally well. One of the greatest RPGs ever!
As a fellow gamer, I can‘t recommend The Witcher 3 next-gen update enough. We‘re getting a ton of free improvements that will make this a definitive play on PS5, Series X/S, and PC. I‘ll see you on the Path when it releases later this year!