The short answer is – yes, Xbox Rewards, now called Microsoft Rewards, is completely free to join and participate in. But how exactly does it work, and how can you maximize the points you earn? As an avid gamer and bargain hunter, I‘ve researched this rewards program extensively, so let me walk you through everything you need to know to start earning free rewards!
What Exactly is Microsoft Rewards?
Microsoft Rewards is a loyalty program offered by Microsoft that gives you points for doing everyday tasks like searching the web with Bing, shopping at the Microsoft Store, playing Xbox games, taking surveys and more.
The points can then be redeemed for gift cards, sweepstake entries and other rewards. Xbox Rewards merged with Microsoft Rewards back in 2017.
Here are some key things to know:
- Completely free to join – no fees or commitments
- Earn points just by searching, shopping, gaming, etc.
- Redeem points for Xbox/Microsoft gift cards, sweepstakes, and more
- Offered directly by Microsoft – 100% legitimate program
As of 2022, over 18 million people use Microsoft Rewards, so it‘s a very popular loyalty program.
How Do You Earn Points?
There are a ton of different activities you can do every day to earn Rewards points. Based on my experience maxing out points, here are some of the main ways to earn and how many points you can get:
- PC searches – Earn 100 points for each of your first 12 Bing searches per day
- Mobile searches – Earn 100 points for each of your first 20 mobile searches per day
- Edge browser – Earn 25 bonus points per day for searches with Edge
- Quizzes – Get 50, 100 or 150 points for daily quizzes
Tip: You can earn 500 points per day just from searches and quizzes alone!
- Achievements – Earn up to 10,000 points per month based on your Gamerscore
- Game Pass Quests – Earn up to 1,800 points per month completing Quests
- New game punches – Get up to 6,000 points per month for playing new titles
Tip: Xbox Live Gold members get additional bonus point opportunities
- Microsoft Store – Earn up to 20% back in points on games, movies, devices and more
- Partner offers – Get points for shopping with retailers like Walmart, Target, and BestBuy
Tip: Install the Microsoft Rewards app to find the best deals to maximize points
- Daily polls – Provide your opinion on various topics for 50 points
- Featured surveys – Earn 100 – 300 points per survey
Tip: Check the Rewards app daily for new surveys
- Invite friends to join Rewards and earn up to 5,000 points for every referral
Tip: Share your unique referral link to earn points for every friend who joins
As you can see, there are tons of opportunities to earn Rewards points through your daily online activities.
How Many Points Can You Earn?
To give you an idea of how many points you can realistically earn, here is an overview of the daily and monthly point maximums:
|PC Bing Searches
|Mobile Bing Searches
|100 – 300
|3,000 – 9,000
|Game Pass Quests
|100 – 300
|3,000 – 9,000
If you maximize your points from searches, quizzes, Xbox gaming, surveys and special promotions, you can realistically earn over 100,000 Rewards points per month.
What are Microsoft Rewards Points Worth?
The points themselves don‘t have any cash value, but they can be redeemed for rewards that do have monetary value. Here are some examples of popular redemptions and their point costs:
- $5 Microsoft Gift Card – 5,250 points
- $10 Xbox Gift Card – 7,300 points
- 1 Month Xbox Game Pass – 12,000 points
- $25 Xbox Gift Card – 29,000 points
- $100 Microsoft Gift Card – 117,000 points
Reviewing the redemption options, you can estimate that on average, 1,000 Rewards points equals $1. So if you earn 100,000 points per month, that‘s effectively $100 in rewards value!
Tips to Earn Points Faster
Here are some of my top tips for earning Microsoft Rewards points more quickly:
- Set Bing as your default search engine – This makes it easy to rack up search points without thinking about it.
- Install browser extensions – The Rewards extension gives you bonus points on Bing searches.
- Max out mobile searches – You can earn 2x more points from mobile searches than PC.
- Retake quizzes – Don‘t leave any points on the table by retaking quizzes to get questions right.
- Complete Game Pass Quests – Easy points for just playing Xbox games you already own.
- Shop strategically – Buy Xbox games and Microsoft products when there are bonus point promotions.
- Check for bonus offers – The Rewards app often has rotating bonus point activities.
- Refer friends – Get thousands of bonus points when friends join and earn points.
- Take advantage of double point days – Periodic double point days let you maximize your earnings.
Follow these tips and with regular effort, you can easily earn $10 – $20 each month in free rewards value!
Is Microsoft Rewards Worth It?
In my opinion as a bargain hunter, Microsoft Rewards is absolutely worth participating in if you already use Microsoft products and services. It takes little effort to earn points that can be redeemed for gift cards and other free rewards.
Considering there are no costs, fees or commitments associated with the program, you have nothing to lose and free rewards to gain!
Over the past year, I‘ve earned over $500 worth of Xbox gift cards just by making sure to complete my daily activities. That‘s $500 I didn‘t have to spend out of pocket on games and subscriptions!
If you want to maximize the value you get from Microsoft products, I highly recommend taking advantage of Microsoft Rewards. The points add up faster than you might think.
Signing Up is Easy and Free
Ready to start earning your own free Xbox rewards? Signing up is quick and easy to do:
- Go to Microsoft Rewards and click Join now.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account or create a new one if you don‘t have an existing account.
- Complete your public profile. This helps tailor rewards offers to you.
- Check the Rewards app on your Xbox or mobile device and complete any new joiner activities.
- Start earning points by completing your first Bing searches, quizzes and other daily activities.
That‘s all it takes to join Microsoft Rewards and start earning! Sign up now to get a 500 point new member bonus. I hope this guide gives you everything you need to maximize your Rewards points. Happy earning!