Hey friend! If you‘ve managed to get GTA Online for free, there are a few possible reasons why:
Limited Time Free Access
The most likely reason is that you took advantage of a limited time free access offer from Rockstar Games. They periodically make GTA Online free to play for a few weeks in order to attract new players. The last free period was from March 15 to June 14, 2022. As long as you claimed the game during that window, you own it permanently!
Bundled with GTA V Purchase
If you bought a copy of GTA V for PC, PS4/PS5, or Xbox One/Series X|S, it automatically came bundled with a free copy of GTA Online. No additional purchase needed! Here‘s a breakdown of included versions:
- GTA V (PC) – Includes GTA Online with 30 player support
- GTA V (Console) – Includes base GTA Online with 16 player support
- GTA V Premium Edition – Includes GTA Online with all DLC packs
Standalone GTA Online
In late 2021, Rockstar finally released a standalone version of GTA Online that doesn‘t require owning GTA V. It was priced at $19.99 after the free promo period ended. If you grabbed it during a sale or promotion, that explains the free access!
Xbox Game Pass Perks
Occasionally GTA Online is one of the monthly free game perks included with an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription. Microsoft and Rockstar have partnered to offer 1-month of free access several times.
PlayStation Plus Monthly Games
Similarly, Sony has included GTA Online as part of the monthly PlayStation Plus free games lineup in the past. For example, in 2021 it was one of the PS Plus monthly games from April to June. Subscribers during that period got 3 months of access.
Breakdown of Player Counts
To give you an idea of how many others are playing for free, here‘s a quick breakdown of GTA Online‘s player base:
- 125 million copies of GTA V sold to date
- Assuming 90% bundled inclusion rate, approx. 110 million copies of GTA Online
- 5 million copies of standalone GTA Online sold
- Roughly 10% of 110 million players on PC received free access via Epic Games Store promo in 2020
- Approx 15 million console players have benefited from free access promotions
So conservatively, at least 30-40 million players globally have gotten GTA Online for free! Nothing to feel bad about 🙂
Is GTA Online Really Free to Play?
While you may have scored GTA Online at no cost, it isn‘t fully free-to-play yet. Here are some caveats:
- Limited time promotions eventually expire
- Xbox Live Gold or PS Plus is required for multiplayer on consoles
- No way to earn premium currency in-game, only via real money purchases
- Base GTA Online experience is limited without DLC purchases
So while you can access the core game for free, enjoying the full experience still requires spending extra cash. Let‘s compare it to Fortnite‘s excellent free-to-play model:
GTA Online vs. Fortnite Free-to-Play Features
|Core game free permanently?
|Premium currency earned in-game?
|Battle pass with free rewards?
|Cross-play across platforms?
So while you may have scored a free copy, GTA Online still has room to improve as a true free-to-play title. Fingers crossed that Rockstar takes cues from Fortnite and opens up the experience more over time!
Either way, enjoy your free access and let the mayhem commence! Having GTA Online for free is still a sweet deal.
Getting Started with Your Free Copy
Now that you know how you scored that free access, let‘s make sure you get the most out of it!
Here are my top tips for new players jumping into GTA Online:
- Complete the tutorial and initial Lamar missions to unlock basic weapons and get settled in.
- Only withdraw small amounts of cash from the ATM at a time. Dying causes you to lose a few hundred bucks that aren‘t banked.
- Don‘t attack other players unprovoked. Doing so makes you a "Bad Sport" and leads to trouble.
- Join missions and game modes to earn extra cash and upgrade your skills.
- Always deposit your cash via phone before logging off to avoid losing a bankroll.
Follow those tips, and you‘ll be well on your way to becoming a successful criminal kingpin!
Well friend, that covers the major reasons you may have scored GTA Online for free. Let me know if you have any other questions! I‘m always happy to share tips and guide new players. Enjoy your time in Los Santos!